Vietnam is a beautiful peninsular country located in Southeast Asia. People visit the country for its natural beauty, diverse culture, and historical significance. If you’re planning a trip to the Asian country, here is everything you need to know about your visa requirement and its application procedure.
So do you need a visa to go to Vietnam? Your visa requirement for traveling to Vietnam depends on your nationality. There are many countries whose citizens do not need a visa if their stay in the country is for a limited period of time.
Given below is a list of countries whose citizens are exempted from visa along with the duration they are allowed to stay.
|Area||Country||Term of Residence|
|Asia||Brunei||Up to 14 days|
|Cambodia||Up to 30 days|
|Indonesia||Up to 30 days|
|Japan||Up to 15 days|
|Kyrgyzstan||Up to 30 days|
|Laos||Up to 30 days|
|Malaysia||Up to 30 days|
|Myanmar||Up to 14 days|
|Philippines||Up to 21 days|
|Singapore||Up to 30 days|
|South Korea||Up to 15 days|
|Thailand||Up to 30 days|
|Europe||Belarus||Up to 15 days|
|Denmark||Up to 15 days|
|Finland||Up to 15 days|
|France||Up to 15 days|
|Germany||Up to 15 days|
|Italy||Up to 15 days|
|Norway||Up to 15 days|
|Spain||Up to 15 days|
|Sweden||Up to 15 days|
|United Kingdom||Up to 15 days|
|South America||Chile||Up to 90 days|
|Eastern Europe & Nothern Asia||Russia||Up to 15 days|
If you are a citizen of Russia, or any other European country listed above, and wish to re-enter Vietnam, you must leave a gap of 30 days between the visits.
However, if you do not belong to any of the countries mentioned in the chart, or are planning an extended trip to the country, you will need to get a Visa. Read on to know more about the different types of visas available for traveling to Vietnam.
- What are the different types of Vietnam Visas?
- How can I apply for Vietnam Visa?
- What documents do I need while applying for Vietnam Visa?
- What is the validity duration of my Vietnam Visa?
- How much does Vietnam Visa cost?
What are the different types of Vietnam Visas?
The Immigration Department of Vietnam issues visas to foreigners who want to enter the country. There are seven different types of visas that are issued according to the nature and purpose of your visit.
- Vietnam Tourist Visa: Issued to foreigners entering the country as tourists.
- Vietnam Work Visa: Issued to foreigners who enter the country for a job or business with a Vietnamese company.
- Vietnam Business Visa: Issued to foreign businessmen who enter the country for a short period of time for a business meeting or conference.
- Vietnam Diplomatic Visa: Issued to foreign government officials and diplomats and their companions.
- Vietnam Investor Visa: Issued to foreign business investors willing to invest in a Vietnamese business.
- Vietnam Student or Internship Visa: Issued to foreign students entering the country to study in one of its educational institutions or for interning in the country.
- Vietnam Transit Visa: Issued to foreigners who are changing planes on a Vietnamese airport and wish to leave the international transit area of the airport.
How can I apply for Vietnam Visa?
You can apply for a Vietnam Visa in three ways: from an Embassy, online, or on arrival.
Applying for Vietnam Visa at an Embassy
To apply for a Vietnam Visa at an Embassy, you need to make an appointment with the Vietnamese Embassy or Consulate in your country/area to receive the visa application form.
Once you receive the form, fill it carefully, and submit it with all the documents required. Pay your Vietnam visa fee, and wait for the visa to be processed.
If your visa application is approved, you will receive your passport with a Vietnam visa stamped on it. You can then use the visa to enter Vietnam.
Applying for Vietnam Visa online
Before you go for an online application, you must confirm if your country is eligible for a Vietnam e-Visa. If it is, you can proceed with your application at the Vietnam Immigration Portal.
You need to attach scanned copies of the documents required along with your application and pay the e-visa fee. The e-visa takes up to 3 working days to be processed, after which you can check if your visa has been approved. You can then download the PDF file of your e-visa and print two copies of it.
Vietnam e-visa is valid for a single entry, for up to 30 days from your pre-decided entry in the country.
Applying for Vietnam Visa on arrival
To get a Vietnam visa on arrival, you must enter the country through an International Airport.
Before you apply for a visa on arrival, you will need a Letter of Approval from the Immigration Department of Vietnam. To apply for the Letter of Approval, you can consult a travel or visa application agency that is permitted by the Vietnam Immigration Department.
Your agent will guide you to his agency website portal, where you need to fill your passport information and pay the service fee. The application takes 2-4 working days to be processed. After that, you will receive the Letter of Approval via mail.
With the printed Letter of Approval, visa stamping fee, and other necessary documents, you can travel to Vietnam. Upon arrival, you can apply on the counter to get your visa stamped on your passport and enter the country.
What documents do I need while applying for Vietnam Visa?
The documents needed vary depending on your mode of application.
Through Embassy/ online forum
If you are applying for a Vietnam Visa, you will need to provide documentation to the Embassy or the online forum. These are the documents that you should be prepared with beforehand:
- Your passport, with a minimum validity of the next six months.
- Your (4×6) cm recent passport picture with a white background. Do not wear glasses in the picture, and look straight ahead with a neutral expression.
- The Vietnam visa application form. You can either download the form from the Internet or get it from your local Embassy.
- Proof of payment of Vietnam visa fee.
- Depending on your reason for travel, you might require to present a Letter of Invitation or Sponsorship (common for Vietnam student or internship visa).
Visa on arrival
If you are applying for a visa on arrival, you must have:
- A pre-obtained Letter of Approval.
- Four passport size photos.
- Vietnam visa application form/ entry and exit form. You will receive it when you board the plane, and you need to hand it to the Immigration Office at the Vietnam airport.
- Vietnam visa stamping fee in cash.
What is the validity duration of my Vietnam Visa?
The validity of your Vietnam visa depends on your purpose of visit. If you are a tourist, you will receive a single-entry visa. However, if you are traveling for work for business, you can apply for a multiple-entry visa.
|Single-entry Visa||Up to 1 to 3 months|
|Multiple-entry Visa||1 month, 3 months, 6 months or 1 year|
If you have a Vietnam Work Visa, you can apply for a Temporary Resident Card for up to 2 years.
How much does Vietnam Visa cost?
The charge of Vietnam Visa varies with your mode of application.
If you apply for a Vietnam e-visa, you will be charged USD 25.
If you apply for a visa from your local Embassy or Consulate, the charge will depend on your Embassy.
However, if you apply for a visa on arrival, you will be charged according to the entry limit and duration of your visa.
Here’s a chart of the charges for different duration validity:
|Single-entry Visa||1 month||USD 25|
|3 months||USD 25|
|Multiple-entry Visa||1 month||USD 50|
|3 months||USD 50|
|6 months||USD 95|
|12 months||USD 135|
In addition to the stamping fee, you will also have to pay a service fee for applying for the Letter of Approval.