Whatever your reason for travelling, whether it is because you want to relax and be alone, go to the beach, try different foods and outdoor activities, spend time with your family, or have that perfect honeymoon, Greece has the best Islands to offer you.
The Top 5 Islands to Visit in Greece
Ifyouwantto have the best experience in Greece and can only afford to visit a single Island, choose Santorini. With its exceptional hotels and restaurants, fascinating boat and wine tours, plus all the other activities you can do in this place, you would understand why this is my favorite Greek Island. There are many things to do in the middle of the peak and low season and during the winter, so we highly recommend visiting the place between October and April and don’t forget to try the fresh seafood and amazing sunset view in Ammoudi bay.
This Island offers the best clubs and nightlife in Greece. Its capital village, the Mykonos Town is full of charming restaurants and hip clubs. If you get tired of partying and just simply want to relax, their beautiful beaches such as the Ornos is also there to pamper you.
Known as the largest Island in Greece, it can offer you different vibes starting from Chania which is a perfect place to begin exploring the western side of this island to Rethymnon which offers you a cool old town ambiance and amazing beaches. With the size of this Island, filled with historical sites, small interesting towns, parks and beaches, a week stay is often not enough.
Ifyou are travelling with your family, Naxos is the best place for you to visit. This welcoming Island has shallow and kid-friendly beaches and is home to some of the best restaurants in Greece. There are also many villages to explore and other exciting beaches that are just a few minutes’ drive away.
This Island offers you a more relaxed vibe, away from the busy life of the town. It has less crowded beaches and amazing restaurants and gives you a quick one ride boat access to its nearby Island Paros to see two of the most charismatic towns in Greece, the town of Naoussa and Parikia.
Quick Guide on Where to go in Greece
- For an unforgettable honeymoon,go to the island of Santorini.
- The best Island to partyin Greece is in MykonosIsland.
- For lovers and couples, the best place to stay is in the Island of Santoriniand Paros.
- If you are singleor travelling alone, it is great to chill in Iosand Mykonos Islands.
- The best beachesin Greece are in the Islands of Naxos, Mykonos, Ios andCrete.
- If you are travelling with family, it is best to stay in NaxosIsland.
- For Teensand teens at heart, try to visit the Islands of Santorini, Mykonos, Parosand Rhodes.
- If you love rich history and culturego to Crete,Rhodesand Santorini Island.
- Love hiking? Go to the Islands of Crete, Foregandros, Santoriniand Naxos.
- The Island of Kosis best for biking.
- For aluxurious stay, go to the Island of Santoriniand Mykonos.
- The Islands of Antiparos, Folegandros, Ikariaand Karpathoscan offer you a more peaceful and quiet stay.
- For those who love many outdoor activities,go to the Island of Creteand Santorini.
- Those who likeIsland hopping should take the Greek Ferries around the Cyclades. It allows you to visit the Islands of Santorini, Naxos, Paros, Ios, Mykonosand Milos.
- All the Islands offer great tasting Greek foods.
When to go in Greece
March – April and October- November
This time of the year is the country’s shoulder season. These are not the busiest months for the Islands, so it’s the best time to enjoy the hotels and restaurants because there aren’t much crowds. Rhodes, Santorini and Crete are the perfect Islands to go to during the spring and autumn seasons.
May – June and September
These months are the best time to tour around the Islands with the great weather and not much tourists visiting. The perfect climate that is not as hot as July and August is an amazing opportunity to visit the famous Islands of Santorini, Crete, Rhodes and Corfu.
July – August
These are the hottest and the busiest months of the year especially for the popular Islands. It’s the best time to go partying in Mykonos, the top season for Corfu, Rhodes, Crete and Santorini Islands, which are luckily big enough to hold many visitors. The usually less crowded Islands of Milos, Folegandros, Ikaria, Sifnos and Antiparos are also all fully running during this season.
December – February
Because of the winter, these are the quietest months of the year. But for those who want to explore Greece in this season, the Islands of Santorini and Crete are the most popular destination offering tourists plenty of things to do even in the cold weather.
Famous Tourist Destinations in Greece
- Paros – This is a place for shopping, fun activities for the kids, with a fun, energetic nightlife.
- Naxos – Water parks, an easy ambiance, great beaches, and reasonably priced hotels are what the Island is known for.
- All the islands offer great flavors but the Island of Paros, Naxos, Santorini and Crete are most recommended by foodies.
- Folegandros – The amazing paths around the Island make it the best for hiking.
- Island hopping by ferry is one of the best parts of your Greek Island tour.
- Meloptas Beach – The best beach in Ios. You can also find amazing beaches in Naxos and Crete.
- Santorin and Milos – Theseare the two most beautiful Islands in Greece. They offer an out-of-this-world view and ambiance.
- The Knights Grand Master Palace – Also known as Castello, this is a famous must see museum in the Island of Rhodes.
- Paradise and Super Paradise beaches – This is where the party happens in Mykonos or in the amazing nightlife and club scenes of Mykonos Town.
- Santorini – The most romantic Island in Greece with an ambiance perfect for an amazing honeymoon.
Travel Tips When Visiting Greece
- Greek Island Cruises are not recommended. It is best to visit and explore the Islands on your own.
- You need to book hotels 4 to 8 months in advance to get the best possible location and deals.
- For people visiting the first time, Islands around the Cyclades offers the most natural and convenient experience.
- When planning to visit multiple Islands in a single trip, we suggest visiting Islands in the same group for easy ferry access and proximity. Use the map of Greece and choose the Island in the same cluster such as the Islands of Northeastern Aegean, the Saronic, the Ionian, the Dodecanese, the Sporades and the popular Cyclades.