Islands of Greece are best experienced during the late weeks of May until the early weeks of October because of the great weather with little to no chance of rain. Summer season is the time where the temperature of the sea starts to warm up, thus, July to October is the perfect time to go swimming. The most bustling time is August because of all the partying and sought after nightlife. It is also the time where prices tend to shoot up.
Planning a vacation? Looking for an adventure? Here are 101 crazy things to do before you die.
As for Santorini and Crete, April and month of November are the time it really shines (aside from its beautiful islands there’s a lot of other things to experience). Meanwhile in Athens, March until June then September until November is the time the city is at its best.
- Main Tourist Seasons in Greece
- Greece Weather Month By Month
- Greece’s Weather during January
- Greece’s Weather during February
- Greece’s Weather during March
- Greece’s Weather during April
- Greece’s Weather during May
- Greece’s Weather during June
- Greece’s Weather during July
- Greece’s Weather during August
- Greece’s Weather during September
- Greece’s Weather during October
- Greece’s Weather during November
- Greece’s Weather during December
- Popular Events in Greece
- Best Months For Each Destination
Main Tourist Seasons in Greece
(from mid weeks of June until mid-weeks of September): summer is the peak months for Greece. Where you will be able to feel the scorching heat of the sun, lots of people everywhere, and where almost everything becomes very pricey. It will feel like almost everyone in Europe being squeezed inside Greece with the number of tourists everywhere you set your eyes on.
But on a positive note, everything will be quite favorable. There will be more ferries to choose from and more schedules. Everything will be on its all-time high, especially the nightlife. And a variety of attractions and resorts will be open and looking forward to serving you.
(from April until mid-weeks of June, then from mid weeks of September until October): want to know the perfect time to experience Greece? Then it’s undeniably the preseason, the time where spring is almost at its cusp and you smell the coming of autumn. This is the time where the weather is at its finest, lots of discounts on many hotels, and not too many tourists around. You don’t need to worry as many hotels and attractions are open, as well as with the ferries and flights.
(from November until March): Greek winters are pretty balmy therefore you don’t have to think about harsh temperatures. Albeit there will be days where it’ll be chilly, and some drizzles here and there especially during February and November. If you love to ski, there will be snow in the mountains. During winter, you don’t have to worry about the influx of tourists and the inflation of flights and hotels. This is one of the seasons where prices will be at its lowest. But take note that there’s a possibility of hotels and some attractions being close. Same with the ferries and some flights, there’s a chance of fewer schedules available.
Greece Weather Month By Month
Greece’s Weather during January
* January Weather in Athens: For Athens, January’s the month in where it is the chilliest but not that much. For those who are used to the climate in the north, this weather’s pretty gentle and almost fair. Most afternoons the temperature sometimes reaches 13°Celsius and 7° Celsius at most during the night. In the first few days of the month, you may experience some drizzle and a chilly atmosphere. It is during the last few weeks of the month where you will experience a full, cloudy day. With almost a 100% chance of rain which continued for more than 9 days at a 57mm on average. There will be storms but not always, so it’s better to always go out with an umbrella, a raincoat and some clothes ideal for during hot and cold days and nights. (Usual Maximum Temperature is 13°Celsius and the usual precipitation is 57mm.)
* January Weather in Northern or Central Greece: the same with all the other regions of Greece, this is the chilliest month. The temperature is usually above freezing point at 2 °Celsius with a chance of snow. However, this usually in the second half of January and only happens in the mountain areas in the northern part. In the morning the average temperature is usually at 9 °Celsius, therefore, it’s not as chilly when compared to the other parts of Europe. The sun’s expected to shine quite often and a few days of rain at 30mm on average than will last for more than a week. It would be better to have long sleeved t-shirts, some sweaters or a jacket and also some short sleeved shirts reserved for warm afternoons. (Usual Maximum Temperature is 9°Celsius and the usual precipitation is 30mm).
* January Weather in Peloponnese: This month is also Peloponnese‘s chilliest month. A temperature of 7°Celsius and 12° Celsius is to be expected and will definitely go lower at night. It’ll be cloudy with drizzles that will continue for 13 days or more and precipitation of 53mm. But if you are used to the climate in the north, you will find this comforting. It’s advisable to bring clothes ideal for the cold temperature, some warm jacket, hats, and gloves. An umbrella and waterproof footwear will also come in handy. (Usual Maximum Temperature is 12°Celsius and the usual precipitation is 53mm).
* January Weather in the Greek Islands: this month is the chilliest month to go for a Greek Island visit. Therefore, it’ll be a bit windy and muggy with the temperature in the afternoon going to as low as 14 °Celsius on average. But if you are used to this kind of weather you will greatly appreciate this warm climate. This is the reason why some still choose to visit the island to enjoy the sun even during winter. More than half of January is sunny giving you ample time to go sightseeing minus the huge crowd. A reminder though, most hotels and restaurants will be closed during winter with the exception of a few other common destinations. Bring a waterproof and windproof jacket and also some clothing during the cool weather. (Usual Maximum Temperature is 14°Celsius and the usual precipitation is 71mm).
Greece’s Weather during February
* February Weather in Athens: Athens is typically chilly during the month of February. The temperature will be almost the same with that in January, and reaching as high as 14° Celsius in the afternoon. But the county is still warmer compared to the other countries in Europe making it a nice place to visit. The also rain decreases during this month to 47mm for the whole week on average. There’s a high percentage of sunny days therefore, it’s better to bring sunglasses and clothes for both warm and cold days. The temperature can get as low as 7° Celsius during the night. (Usual Maximum Temperature is 14°Celsius and the usual precipitation is 47mm).
* February Weather in Northern or Central Greece: There are small changes occurring from January to February with the temperature warming a little averaging at 10°Celsius. Still chilly for Greece, but the lowest average at 2° Celsius, remains cold when compared. The rain volume expected to increase up to 60 mm and rainy days of more than a week but there will still be plenty of sunny days. Therefore it’s advisable to bring the same as with the things needed during January and also some light clothing and items. (Usual Maximum Temperature is 10°Celsius and the usual precipitation is 60mm).
* February Weather in Peloponnese: This month is a little bit on the warm side averaging at 13° Celsius, but despite that, the weather is likely the same as in January. Majority of the days will be quite cool with bits of gloomy skies and precipitation of 44 mm for more than 12 days. Bring the same clothing as with January, an umbrella and waterproof footwear. (Usual Maximum Temperature is 13°Celsius and the usual precipitation is 44mm).
* February Weather in the Islands of Greece: the weather here is also the same to that in January, chilly, windy and wet. But the rain volume will go lower for as low as around 71 mm-43 mm. 14° Celsius remains the average and during the night, they don’t go lower than 10°Celsius. As usual, this is the perfect time to go visit places and sightsee or do some exploring except for the beach. It would be better to bring a combination of long-sleeves and pants along with a few jackets. (Usual Maximum Temperature is 14°Celsius and the usual precipitation is 43mm).
Greece’s Weather during March
*March Weather in Athens: Every time someone speaks of March, beautiful spring comes into one’s mind. With the temperature going as high as 17° Celsius and during a fine day it can go higher into the 20+ up. There’ll be plenty of sunny days and little to no chance of rain, the volume going to 41mm and rain can fall for only 8 days at most during the first weeks of March. The nights in Athens are still chilly playing around 9° Celsius and the ocean by 15°Celsius making it too cold for a swim. For clothing, it is better to pack some nice clothes for you to wear on top of the other, some short sleeved shirts, a couple of pants, also shorts and a jacket. (Usual Maximum Temperature is 17°Celsius and the usual precipitation is 41mm).
*March Weather in Northern or Central Greece: Even though springs start every march, the weather remains quite cold, averaging at 10° Celsius up to 5° Celsius. This is one of the most mercurial months with one moment the sun’s blazing, then the next it’s chilly to the point where you just want to curl up in bed. Therefore, it’s better to bring sets of clothing for both hot and cold weather, an umbrella, a raincoat, and some jacket. (Usual Maximum Temperature is 10°Celsius and the usual precipitation is 50mm).
*March Weather in Peloponnese: with the temperature on the rise, once the month ends, spring will come in full blow. Averaging at 17° Celsius, sunny mornings are to be expected with some thunderstorm and light rain. Evenings are still chilly but not that much at 5° Celsius. Rain volume will also drop to 50mm and will have some rain of just a day or two. Bringing light clothing would be good for a warm day and some jacket and during for the cold nights. (Usual Maximum Temperature is 17°Celsius and the usual precipitation is 50mm).
*March Weather in the Greek Islands: the temperature will average at16° Celsius for this month and the rain volume decreasing to 40mm, with rain expected to fall in just over a week. If you arrive in the last weeks of March the more you will be able to see and experience spring. The days will still be a bit chilly. It’ll be better to bring warm clothes, some thick jacket for the cold nights, a sweater and some short-sleeved shirts for daytime. The sea will still be quite chilly at 16°Celsius so bathing is unnecessary unless there is a warmed up pool available. (Usual Maximum Temperature is 16°Celsius and the usual precipitation is 40mm).
Greece’s Weather during April
* April Weather in Athens: this is a marvelous time to explore Greece. With the temperature averaging at 20°Celsius plus there’s still a few crowds around. As a matter of fact, this is the month where it will start to feel summery especially if you’re from the north. Rain volume also decreases to 31mm in 6days, hence, the dry weather. With the temperature cooling and frequent appearance of sunshine, the ocean also begins to warm up at 16°Celsius. A bit chilly for long dips but for a short time it’s perfect. It would also be better to have your swimwear in case you want to go for a quick swim during the hot days. Summer clothes like shirts and shorts are advisable for during the day and some nice sweaters for the cold nights. (Usual Maximum Temperature is 20°Celsius and the usual precipitation is 31mm).
* April Weather in Northern or Central Greece: if you visit during this month, you will feel the beginning of spring. The temperature will average at 19°Celsius and may further increase into the 20s. There will be a lot of sun hours of over 12 hours in a day and rain volume of 50mm in more than 11 days. It will be cold at night with the temperature going as low as 8°Celsius so having clothes fit for warm and cold times is advisable. (Usual Maximum Temperature is 19°Celsius and the usual precipitation is 50mm).
* April Weather in Peloponnese: the temperature will now average at a nice 17°Celsius. If you visit during this month, there will be plenty of sun with a few rain and thunderstorms. The average rain volume will go down to 49mm in 9 days. You will need some jackets especially if you want to go for a walk at night. The temperature can go as low as 9°Celsius, and some nice shorts and long-sleeved shirts during the day. (Usual Maximum Temperature is 21°Celsius and the usual precipitation is 40mm).
* April Weather in the Greek Islands: during this month, the temperature tends to go higher, as the spring will now be in full blow. The crowd will begin to thicken and this will now be a good time to go for a hike and do some sightseeing. The cold sea temperature will make it impossible to go for a swim but sometime later it’ll be sunny making it a good chance to go and enjoy the beach. There will be little to no chance of rain at 16mm in four days. It would be best to bring some walking and hiking shoes, some set of clothes for both warm and chilly nights. (Usual Maximum Temperature is 18° Celsius and the usual precipitation is 16mm).
Greece’s Weather during May
* May Weather in Athens: if you want to experience summer in Greece with fewer crowds, then this is the best month to go for a visit. The temperature will average at 25°Celsius during the afternoons up to 30° Celsius. There will be little to no chance of rain at only 23mm in 4 days. The ocean’s temperature will also rise by up to 19°Celsius due to the long sunny days, making it tepid enough to allow everyone to have fun. Summer clothes are best advised and some that can protect you against the blazing Greek sun, and some swimsuit, also sweaters for the cold nights. (Usual Maximum Temperature is 25°Celsius and the usual precipitation is 23mm).
* May Weather in Northern or Central Greece: this is the moment for you to bring in some sunscreen, a sunglass as you will most definitely need it. The temperature is now starting to get warm averaging at 24°Celsius and up to 30° Celsius. Rain volume will go down to 40mm in 99 days making it not really a worry. There will be lots of sunshine all throughout the month. The nights will be a bit cold at 12°Celsius so pack a jacket and a few clothes for the cool weather is best advised. As for during the day, packing short and long sleeved shirts will come in handy, also some pants and shorts. (Usual Maximum Temperature is 24°Celsius and the usual precipitation is 40mm).
* May Weather in Peloponnese: the summer season starts to rear its head. The days will soon begin to feel warm with the temperature rising up to 26°Celsius or higher to 30°Celsius. There will be lots of sunshine for the whole month with occasional rain at 35mm in 6 days. A perfect month to visit the island as it starts to feel warm now and there’ll be a few crowds here and there. Bringing some clothes for the warm days and some sweater for the cold days is best advised as it could reach as low as 13° Celsius. (Usual Maximum Temperature is 26°Celsius and the usual precipitation is 35mm).
* May Weather in the Greek Islands: the month could start as cold and gloomy but as days go by there’ll be sunnier days. Averaging at 23°Celsius the day will be warm and the evenings cold and pleasant at 17° Celsius. The rain volume will also decrease to 11mm in 3 days. This is now the best time to pack all your summer outfits and that nice swimsuit although the sea could still be a bit chilly at 19°Celsius but definitely tolerable. (Usual Maximum Temperature is 23°Celsius and the usual precipitation is 11mm).
Greece’s Weather during June
* June Weather in Athens: June is the summer season in Athens, there will be huge crowds and it’ll be a bit humid. The temperature will increase by 5 and average at 30°Celsius and there will days that it’ll be a bit hotter than that. There will be lots of sun and influx of tourists, the prices will also increase as the peak season nears. The rain volume will decrease to 11mm and the evenings a bit on the mild side with a temperature of 21°Celsius. It would be better to bring light clothes, some sunscreen, a swimwear, a pair of sandals and shoes as this could be a good time to go exploring. (Usual Maximum Temperature is 30°Celsius and the usual precipitation is 11mm).
* June Weather in Northern or Central Greece: the temperature for this time will average at 29°Celsius as the summer season approaches though on some days it could go down to 20°Celsius up to 17°Celsius at night. If you are not used to the cold it would be better to bring a jacket with you when visiting this island during this month. You can also pack some summer clothes, sunscreen, and a couple of hats. This is also an ideal time to go take a dip at a beach as the temperature at this month is perfect at 24°Celsius. (Usual Maximum Temperature is 29°Celsius and the usual precipitation is 30mm).
* June Weather in Peloponnese: Summer will officially begin in Peloponnese during this month. Thus, the air could be a bit humid and the temperature averaging at 32°Celsius and on some days it could reach as high as 40°Celsius. But there will a rainy day so no need to worry about facing the blazing sun the whole month. The rain volume could reach up to 40mm in 2 days. The sea will also start to warm up at 22°Celsius, a perfect opportunity to go and have a swim. For this month it’s advisable to pack some swimwear, a couple of hats, some sunscreen, and a few sweaters for night-time as it could go down as 17°Celsius. (Usual Maximum Temperature is 32°Celsius and the usual precipitation is 40mm).
* June Weather in the Islands of Greece: summer is officially here in this island. Tourist will begin to flow but it will not be as crowded when July or August comes. The temperature will average at 27°Celsius or higher. There will be close to zero chances of rain with 0mm until the month ends. It’ll be an ideal time to swim at 22°Celsius, so bring some sunscreen, a swimsuit, and some hats along with light clothes whenever you want to go sightseeing. (Usual Maximum Temperature is 27°Celsius and the usual precipitation is 11mm).
Greece’s Weather during July
* July Weather in Athens: July is the hottest month in Athens. The temperature in the afternoon could go as high as the 30s up to 40°Celsius and almost zero chances of rain. There will be an influx of tourist since July is the best time to go to the beach with the temperature running at 24°Celsius perfect for soaking. For outfits to bring, pack some summer wear, a couple of swimsuits, sunglasses, shorts, shirts or dresses. (Usual Maximum Temperature is 33°Celsius and the usual precipitation is 6mm).
* July Weather in Northern or Central Greece: this is one of the most humid months in northern or central Greece with the temperature averaging at 31°Celsius and could sometimes get a bit higher. July is a good time to go soaking at the beach or the pool as the temperature is now milder, running around 26°Celsius with little chance of rain. The rain volume for this month is just around 30mm in 5 days. The evenings are also gentler and cooler at 19°Celsius. Packing clothes ideal for warm weather is advisable. (Usual Maximum Temperature is 31°Celsius and the usual precipitation is 30mm).
* July Weather in Peloponnese: this month would be the most humid with the temperature averaging at 33°Celsius and the evenings quite mild at 19°Ceslsius. There will be lots of sunny days with almost little rain at 22mm in one day. For clothes to pack, bringing lots of summer dresses, light shirts and shorts, a couple of hats and as sunscreen is ideal. (Usual Maximum Temperature is 29°Celsius and the usual precipitation is 7mm).
* July Weather in Islands of Greece: With summer officially here, the sun would be scorching hot at 29°Celsius up to the 30s. The crowd will start to thicken during this month as this is a good time on the island to go to the beach. There would be almost no chance of rain at precipitation of the only 7mm in one day. The same as in June, bringing light, summery clothes and sunscreen would be most preferable. (Usual Maximum Temperature is 29°Celsius and the usual precipitation is 7mm).
Greece’s Weather during August
* August Weather in Athens: There’s little difference in the weather between August and July, only with the temperature rising to 34°Celsius and the lowest recording at around 24°Celsius. As it wouldn’t be that humid during this month, soaking in the beach would be a nice treat; and the temperature bearable at 25°Celsius. Light clothing, some sunscreen would be the most ideal clothes to bring. (Usual Maximum Temperature is 34°Celsius and the usual precipitation is 6mm).
* August Weather in Central or Northern Greece: July & August’s temperature doesn’t really differ much the latter going slightly lower at 19°Celsius. There’s little chance of rain at 20mm in four days. For clothes to bring, pack some light shirts, summer dresses, sunglasses, and sunscreen. Drop by the beach or the pool as this is a good time. (Usual Maximum Temperature is 30°Celsius and the usual precipitation is 20mm).
* August Weather in Peloponnese: this month is one of the most humid times on the island except at night where it’s around 18°Celsius. There will also be little chances of rain at only 2mm. If you plan to visit, this month would be the best month to go for a swim on the beach. The ocean’s temperature during this time is warmer at 25°Celsius and would definitely refresh you from the blazing heat of the sun. For clothes, pack light clothing, some sunscreen, and hats. (Usual Maximum Temperature is 33°Celsius and the usual precipitation is 2mm).
* August Weather in Greek Islands: the July and August temperature don’t really differ much. The daytime would be quite hot and humid at 23°Celsius. There will be powerful winds this month so it’s best to prepare as this could lead to cancellations of excursions and ferries. It would be ideal to pack light clothes and sunscreen that could last for a month. (Usual Maximum Temperature is 29°Celsius and the usual precipitation is 0mm).
Greece’s Weather during September
* September Weather in Athens: this is the start of preseason and definitely a perfect time to visit Athens most especially during Septembers second half. With the temperature averaging at 29°Celsius and the lowest at 20°Celsius, this is a nice day overall. You can even go for a swim as the sea will be warmer at 24°Celsius up until October. There will be little chance of rain at 14mm in three days. Bringing a couple of sweater for the cold nights and light clothing for the day would be ideal. (Usual Maximum Temperature is 29°Celsius and the usual precipitation is 14mm).
* September Weather in Northern or Central Greece: fall is now fast approaching but the warm air can still be felt in Greece. In the afternoons it will be particularly pleasant at 27°Celsius and a bit chilly during the night as the temperature’s going as low as 15°Celsius. Rain volume will also start to increase by up to 44mm, roughly 2 inches, meaning there’s a high chance of rain in seven days. You can avoid this altogether by going to the island earlier. For clothing, it would be better to bring some short sleeved shirts, some shorts, a swimwear, and some sweater for the cold nights. (Usual Maximum Temperature is 27°Celsius and the usual precipitation is 44mm).
* September Weather in Peloponnese: if you visit during the first few days, you probably won’t feel much difference in the weather between September and August. But as the day goes on, from the hot, blazing sunshine-filled day, it will start to go cooler. The temperature will drop to 29°Celsius and could even go lower up to 15°Celsius. In the last weeks of the month, the chances of rain will start to increase at 22mm in their days despite having lots of sunny days. You may still pack some light clothes and swimwear as the ocean will still be relatively warmer and some sweater for the cold nights. (Usual Maximum Temperature is 29°Celsius and the usual precipitation is 22mm).
* September Weather in Greek Islands: this time would be the most ideal month to go visit the islands in Greece most especially in the second half as the crowd will begin to thin. The temperature and winds will now start to be gentler at 26°Celsius and at night a cool 21°Celsius. Pack some light clothing, sunscreen, and some jacket especially if you want to go for a sailing excursion. This is a must-do activity during this month, as the sea will feel cooler. (Usual Maximum Temperature is 26°Celsius and the usual precipitation is 11mm).
Greece’s Weather during October
* October Weather in Athens: fall will now be in full blow. The temperature will also be cooler and drop up to 24°Celsius during the day and 16°Celsius at night. This is still a nice time to visit Athens since it’s still warm and sunny plus the rain won’t start falling until the second half of the month. The rain volume for this month will start to increase up to 53mm in five days. For packing, bringing shorts, shirts, some pants, a long-sleeved shirt and some sweater for the cold nights is advised. (Usual Maximum Temperature is 24°Celsius and the usual precipitation is 53mm).
* October Weather in Northern or Central Greece: you will start to feel autumn this month coupled with the cool air. The temperature will drop by up to 21°Celsius and sometimes will averaging at 16°Celsius. The nights will also be especially chilly at around 11°Celsius. About 30% of October will be rainy with the average precipitation at around 30mm. for the clothes to pack, clothes for the cool and warm days, and a few sweaters for the cold nights. (Usual Maximum Temperature is 21°Celsius and the usual precipitation is 50mm).
* October Weather in Peloponnese: autumn is now in full swing along with the sudden decrease of temperature averaging at 23°Celsius in the afternoons. It will be especially chilly in the evenings at 12°Celsius. You may be able to enjoy the beach in the early weeks since the sea will still be relatively warm at around 22°Celsius. As the month progresses, there will be bouts of sunny days and murky, rainy days. The precipitation will be increasing and average at around 52mm in over a week. If you plan to visit this month, a mixture of light and thick clothing would be ideal, a number of sweaters and jackets. And if you plan to stay until the later part of the month it would be best to bring an umbrella with you. (Usual Maximum Temperature is 23°Celsius and the usual precipitation is 52mm).
* October Weather in Islands of Greece: Fall may officially be here in the islands of Greece but this is still quite a perfect month to experience its beauty, especially during the early weeks where there are still lots of sunshine. And as the month progresses, the air will start to feel cooler and there’ll be lesser sunny days. So if you plan to go for a swim, the early weeks is advisable since the seas will still be warm by then at 23°Celsius. Precipitation will also increase by up to 38mm in four days and will only keep on increasing as the day goes by. For clothes, pack some short sleeved ones, some shorts, pants, sweaters, and jackets for the cold nights or after taking a dip in the water. (Usual Maximum Temperature is 23°Celsius and the usual precipitation is 38mm).
Greece’s Weather during November
* November Weather in Athens: this is the beginning of the offseason. There’ll be more murky and gloomy days along with the increased chance in precipitation averaging at 58mm. But despite that, there will also be sunny days. The afternoon will be a bit on the cooler side at 19°Celsius but may increase up to the 20s on some days. So bringing a mixture of thick and light clothing would be ideal for both daytime and nighttime strolls. Since this is the start of the offseason, there will be lots of discounts everywhere making this month a nice time for some Greek exploration. But bear in mind, many stores will be closed for the winter and some flights and ferry rides can be a bit limited. (Usual Maximum Temperature is 19°Celsius and the usual precipitation is 58mm).
* November Weather in Northern or Central Greece: the air will be cooler as the northern wind passes by the island. You can still see the sunshine on some days but it’ll be especially rainy this month with average precipitation of 43mm in more than ten days. You may want to bring your sunglasses and pack thick clothes like sweaters, jackets and long sleeved shirts. No need for light items as the temperature now will average at 14°Celsius during the day and around 7°Celsius at night. (Usual Maximum Temperature is 14°Celsius and the usual precipitation is 43mm).
* November Weather in Peloponnese: this month will be quite cool with a mixture of sunshine and cloudy, murky and sometimes rainy days. The temperature will drop up to 13°Celsius and at times increase to 17°Celsius. Nigh time will be chilly at 7°Celsius, so bring a mix of clothes for warm and chilly weather, and also an umbrella. Swimming can be impossible as it is too cold at 19°Celsius but warm enough to go for a stroll. (Usual Maximum Temperature is 17°Celsius and the usual precipitation is 62mm).
* November Weather in Greek Islands: the air will be warmer now with a mix of sunshine on some days. The temperature will average from 17°Celsius up to 20°Celsius. Perfect to go for a stroll and some sightseeing since there will be fewer guests around. Some stores may be closed for the winter but other establishments can offer other choices for you to enjoy. Pack thick clothes like sweaters and jackets as the nights can be chilly at 14°Celsius, and also an umbrella. The precipitation will be averaging at around 59mm in 9 days for this month. (Usual Maximum Temperature is 19°Celsius and the usual precipitation is 59mm).
Greece’s Weather during December
* December Weather Athens: December is the coldest month in Greece but quite gentle when compared to the climate in the north. The average temperature for this month could go as low as 9°Celsius and go up for up to 15°Celsius. You can still enjoy taking a stroll but it’ll be impossible to go for a swim or sunbathing. Expect some rains this month, with precipitation averaging at 98mm in more than a week. For clothes, bring sweaters, jackets, a couple of warm clothes along with an umbrella and a raincoat. (Usual Maximum Temperature is 15°Celsius and the usual precipitation is 98mm).
* December Weather in Northern or Central Greece: if you plan to visit during this month, you will definitely need your winter coat. The temperature this month will average at around 3°Celsius and may even fall into the negatives. Snow is to be expected this month and some rain with precipitation averaging at 50mm in eleven days. There’ll be little sunshine here and there but overall, it’ll be chilly. If you plan to visit during this month, bring some winter boots, gloves and a couple of hats. (Usual Maximum Temperature is 10°Celsius and the usual precipitation is 50mm).
* December Weather in Peloponnese: this is one of the coldest monthsin the island, averaging at 4°Celsius and a chance to increase but only up to 12°Celsius. There’ll be little sunshine here and there though. There is a low chance of snow in the lower regions but a huge possibility in the highlands. With that said, this is a perfect opportunity to go skiing. For clothes to bring, a winter coat, boots, a few hats and a couple of light clothes for the warm hours is ideal. (Usual Maximum Temperature is 12°Celsius and the usual precipitation is 70mm).
* December Weather Greek Islands: this month is one of the chilliest months in the island but may be a bit warm when compared to the north. The temperature will average at around 15°Celsius and get warmer on some days at night though; it’ll be chilly at 11°Celsius. There will be a high chance of precipitation averaging at 75mm in more than a week. (Usual Maximum Temperature is 15°Celsius and the usual precipitation is 75mm).
* December is one of the coldest months in the Greek Islands, but compared to destinations in northern climates it may almost feel warm. The average high temperature is 15°C, but there are usually a few nice days. This month that can get several degrees warmer than that, and nights aren’t much different from days, with lows at 11°C. In general, be prepared for cool, damp weather, with a good possibility of rain as precipitation now averages 75mm over 11 days. (Average Max Temperature: 15°C. Average Precipitation: 75mm.)
Popular Events in Greece
Greece during January
* New Year and Day of Saint Basil- the 1st of January, like the other entire nation, is a public holiday where they mainly celebrate the coming of a new year the day of Saint Basil. For the Greeks, Saint Basil is the equivalent of the well-known Santa Claus. Thus, this is almost similar to that of the US’s Christmas day with the people exchanging and giving gifts. During this time, you will be able to try the famous Vasilopita cake made up of coins inside. If you manage to get one with a coin inside it is believed to bring good luck. This is believed to be the day with the most luck, thus you will see people playing cards almost the whole day be it inside the coffee shops, at home or a club.
* Epiphany- This is celebrated every 6th of January all across Europe, Greece included. This is the time where Blessing the waters happen. Someone will be tossing across either into a river, sea or lake and then it will be recovered by the swimmers who will then receive the good luck. A ceremony will usually take place and fancy, especially in the Piraeus Port.
* The Patras Carnival- This Carnival is considered to be the greatest and largest celebrationfor both the Greeks and the whole of Europe. This grand celebration is purely Italian of origin. There will be parades, dancing, street music, treasure hunting, balls and many more. This usually begins in the middle of January and will continue until the middle of February yearly. This 2018, the celebration will start on the 17th of January until the 19th of February.
Greece during February
* Carnival – aside from the Patras Carnival, the other carnivals in Greece are being celebrated every February. Usually three weeks ahead of the Lenten season. You can enjoy these exciting celebrations in Chios, Skyros, Crete, Athens, Lamia, Naousa, Zante, and Heraklion. You will be enjoying a lot with the non-stop drinks and party, parades, unique costumes, marching bands, dancing, and a lot more.
* Clean Monday- this is an important celebration in Greece. This is being celebrated every 1st day, 7 weeks before the Easter Sunday (19th of February, 2018) and also marks the ending of Carnival festivities. As a national holiday, there will be excursions, shellfish eating, and kite building and flying.
Greece during March
* Day of Independence and the Annunciation feast- these holidays are being celebrated in simultaneous every 25th of March, filling the streets with different parades and merrymaking. Some places and roads will be closed and blocked due to the celebration.
Greece during April
* Easter and Holy week- the holy week’s usually being celebrated starting Palm Sunday up until the Easter Sunday, every last week of March but oftentimes during April. For the year 2018, Easter Sunday’s on April 1st, 25th until 31st of March for the Holy Week, Easter’s considered to be the most grandiose religious celebration for the Greeks all throughout the year. And many stores will have a special time and the church will be having some services during the evening. During Saturday, a few minutes before its midnight the Greeks will be gathering inside a church holding their candles reserved for the Easter celebration. The lights inside the church will then switch off signifying the death of Jesus and the clergy will announce that Christ rose up from the dead. After that, cheers can be heard, some fireworks coupled with kisses. This is the moment where family and friends come together to have a hearty feast.
* The International Video and Film Festival in Athens- about 250 movies and videos along with some narrative, experimental, documentaries, short movies, and feature-length from different countries will be featured in this particular celebration in Athens. For 2018, the date of the festival’s on the 9th until the 15th of April.
* Saint George’s Feast- the also known as Agios Georgios Day. This happens every 23rd of April every year and is the most significant local festival. With may dancing and feasting that’s happening in places where he is considered protector. Arachova, Skiathos, and Skyros are the places who consider Saint George (Patron of Shepherds) as their patron saint and hold the greatest celebration.
Greece during May
* The International Day of Workers/May Day- the International Day of Workers and May Day’s being celebrated every 1st of May by the Greeks. During this time many big protests and strikes, some parades are being set, made popular by the Soviets as the worker’s holiday. May Day is the time where many flower festivals are happening since this month is considered to be the season of flowers. Thus, many museums, monuments, shops, and attraction will not open aside from the majority of restaurants.
* Festival of Salsa Spring- this is one of the top events for dancing in Europe, featuring the most decorated performers and instructors from all over the world together with the locally acclaimed artists. This event takes place in Loutraki, Korinthia within the last weeks of May (24th to 28th of May for 2018).
* Athen’s Festival of Jazz in Athens, Greece- Athens celebrates the Athens Jazz Festival every year and is the most jovial and grandiose festival in the whole of Europe happening every last week of May featuring European and also other artists from around the world. And the entrance is for free.
Greece during June
* Festival of Epidaurus and Athens- this festival is considered to be the greatest of its kind that is happening every summer in the Odeon of Herodes Atticus just underneath the ancient citadel in Athens. It features all kinds of art from theatrics, dancing, operas and music, and Theatre of Epidaurus for different dramas and music. This festival takes place every middle week of June until the first weeks of September.
* European Day of Music – this is a local celebration happening in several 50 metropolitans in Greece starting every midsummer of the 21st of June continuing for 5 days. There are almost 350 occasions prepared to happen in 200 places like the gardens, some archaeological spots, squares, and parks, made up of Philharmonics, musical ensembles, dance troupes, and orchestras for symphonies.
* Festival of Miaoulia in Hydra- the festival in Hydra celebrates the story of Admiral Miaoulis, an important figure in Greece during the Greek War of Independence. This festival showcases different parades, circus exhibitions, art display, a dance presentation and many more. For 2017, this will happen during the weekends from 21st of June to the 23rd.
* Week of the Navy- this festival honors all of Greece’s great relationship with the ocean. Happening in the late weeks of June, many fishing localities and ports all over Greece will be having historical plays and parties. For Crete, there will be swimming, sailing, dancing, and music.
Greece during July
* Festival of Puppet in Hydra- usually celebrated yearly every 1st weeks of July in the island of Hydra. This is a famous festival being frequented by puppeteers all over the globe
* Festival of Sani in Kassandra, Halkidiki- Celebrated every middle week of July until August, and this festival happens in the Sani Resort, featuring classical music performances, exotic theatre plays and film showing.
* Festival of Philippi in Kavala- happening inside the old theatre of Philippi located in the northern Greek city of Kavala, this event starts every middle week of July until the last few weeks of August. It features theatrics and music performed by young, skilled artists.
* Festival of Hippocratia in Kos- this particular festival is, in fact, a group of cultural performances happening to venerate traditions and the customs of the Kos Island. It starts every July until October, featuring traditional and classical music performances, theatrics, art shows and many more.
Greece during July
* Aegina’s International Festival of Music- a yearly event happening every August that showcases music amplified by sound waves of the Avra Beach, also including other islands located in Aegina.
* Festival of Olympus in Mount Olympus- this festival, done every August, showcase plays performed in the restored old theatre.
* Festival of Chania Rock – taking place in the ancient Chania city in Crete every first week of August. This festival flaunts different Greek artist and the once from around the world, all promising performers, and bands.
* Houdetsi’s Festival of Music – celebrated yearly every August for 4 straight days in the small town of Houdetsi in Crete. This holiday showcases different varieties of music all over the world.
* The Virgin’s Feast of Assumption- this is a significant religious event happening every August 15, celebrating the heavenly ascension of Mary. Because many locals will be coming home, it could be hard for travelers to get rooms to stay. For Tinos, this event is particularly fancy, with many people coming in order to partake in the vigil in the Panagia Evangelistria Cathedral.
Greece during September
* International Festival of Music in Santorini- celebrated for over three weeks in the during the first half of September in the village of Fira. This festival showcases all the top performers all over the globe, some tango and classical music, orchestras, duets in the piano, solo recital, and opera music.
* Festival of Pistachio in Aegina- celebrated yearly for four days during the middle weeks of September. This festival showcases everything with pistachio. From products to other things and sell them. There will also be plays, gastronomy evenings, concerts and exhibitions.
* Traditions and Tastes Festival in Rhodes- happening for two days yearly during middle weeks of September in Pefkos. The celebration consists of cooking in live, wine tasting, traditional products exhibition, traditional dancing and music, parade, and many more.
Greece during October
* Festival of Chestnut in Elos, Crete- this is held yearly and usually on the weekends in Elos during October. This festival consists of chestnuts that are roasted, some food, lots of drinking and dancing, and folk music.
* Festival of Dimitria in Thessaloniki- this is a festival consisting of ballet, opera, and music every 26th of October yearly.
* Day of Ochi- a holiday that is considered both a feast party and a local event. This consists of folk dancing, music, and parade, military parade happening every 28th of October. This is to commemorate the refusal of the nation to give in to the Axis’ powers in the year 1940.
Greece during November
* Archangels Gabriel and Michael’s Feast- all the church in Greece that is named after these archangels will celebrate every 8th of November.
* Polytechnic Uprising Anniversary in Athens – celebrated every 17th of November. This honors the uprising of students in the year 1973 at the University of Polytechnic, Athens, which killed numerous students who participated when a tank bumped the gates of the university. Stoning and Marching to the US embassy are usually done during this time so it is best not to visit the place at this particular time.
* Name Day of Saint Andreas in Patras- considered the protector of Patras. The place will be hosting a huge celebration to honor St. Andreas every November 25 yearly. It starts at night before the mass and will continue in the day and will have a parade.
Greece during December
* St. Nikolaos/St. Nicholas Feast- this festival commemorates the sailor’s patron saint by having processions going to the sea then to the chapel under his name.
* Kladaries in Kozan- Held every 23rd of December yearly, it honors all the shepherds that lit the bonfire announcing Christ’s birth. In Siatista, the people will gather en masse and will then make fires and dance, then enjoy drinking wines.
* Day of Christmas- celebrated every December 25, this is considered to be a national holiday. Though not as significant as the Easter (they are Greek Orthodox in religion), they still celebrate it with elaborate feasts and religious practices. They also practice giving gifts, doing the caroling, preparing a tree and its decorations.
* New Year’s Eve- Celebrated every 31st of December. The Greeks traditionally celebrate this by having children sing carols while the oldies play cards, talk, eat, smoke and drink. In the present time, they celebrate the same with the rest of the world. They go to bars attend parties, watch the display of fireworks hosted by the different cities in Greece.
- Best time to go to Greece: Last weeks of April until Early weeks of November.
- Best time to go to Greece and have the Best Weather: from May until October you can enjoy plenty of sunny days. While August and the month of July are the starts of the summer season.
- Best time to experience Greece and the best Honeymoon: Months of September and June.
- Best time to experience Greece but still able to save Money: From March until May, and during the month of October and also November also offers a discount from many hotels.
- Greek Beaches guarantees worthwhile experience especially if you love swimming or sunbathing. You can experience these treats during the late weeks of May until the early weeks of October.
- The Greek Mainland will peak during the months of June until September.
- The Greeks and Kids: The most family-friendly island in Greece is the Naxos. And the most perfect time to have a vacation with the whole family is during the late weeks of May until the early weeks of October. You may also go there during July or August but these times are perfect for going to the beach and not so much with sightseeing.
- March until June then, September until November is the greatest times to go and explore the island of Santorini. While in Athens, the best times are from March until June then September until November. As for those wanting to experience the nightlife in Mykonos, July until the early weeks of September are your best bet. June until September is the perfect time to feel the greatness of the beaches of Mykonos.
- Late weeks of June up until the early weeks of September are the peak season. The time where there is a huge influx of tourists in the whole island of Greece and usually the prices of everything tends to go high.
- During winter seasons, going to either Santorini or Crete is your best bet. No need to worry about accommodations or where to eat, plenty of hotels and also restaurants will open to satisfy everybody. Meanwhile, Athens is what you can consider an all-rounder, perfect destination anytime.
- If you want to book the most accommodating hotels in Santorini, it must be done 4 until 8 months earlier.
- If you want to book the most accommodating hotels in Mykonos, it must be done 3 until 6 months earlier.
Best Months For Each Destination
Best time to go to Mykonos: Months of June until September
Best time to Go to Santorini: From April until June, then September until early weeks of November
Best time to go to Crete: Months of June or September
Best time to go to Rhodes: Months of June or September
Best time to go to Naxos: Months of June until September
Best time to go to Paros: Months of June until September
Best time to go to Ios: Months of July or August
Best time to go to Athens: Months of April until May, then October to November
Best time to go to Corfu: Months of June to July then, September
Best time to go to Peloponnese: Months of June or September
January Weather of the Island of Greece: wintry, gray-colored skies with lots of rainy days
Best place to go for the month of January: Santorini and Crete.
February Weather of the Island of Greece: wintry, gray-colored skies with lots of rainy days
Best place to go for the month of February: Santorini and Crete.
March Weather of the Island of Greece: fine and summery with wintry days and some rain.
Best place to go for the month of March: Santorini, Rhodes, and Crete.
April Weather of the Island of Greece: bright with lots of suns though not really a perfect time for swimming, light rain.
Best place to go for the month of April: Santorini, Corfu, Rhodes, Naxos, Crete, and Paros
May Weather of the Island of Greece: bright with lots of suns, a good time to go to the beach, light rain.
Best place to go for the month of May: Santorini, Corfu, Rhodes, Naxos, Paros, and Crete.
June Weather of the Island of Greece: hot, bright and sunny, little to no chance of rain.
Best place to go for the month of June: All the islands of Greece are perfect.
July Weather of the Island of Greece: hot, bright and sunny, little to no chance of rain.
Best place to go for the month of July: All the islands of Greece are perfect but will be quite busy.
August Weather of the Island of Greece: hot, bright and sunny, little to no chance of rain.
Best place to go for the month of August: All the islands of Greece are perfect but will be quite busy.
September Weather of the Island of Greece: hot, bright and sunny, little to no chance of rain.
Best place to go for the month of September: All the islands of Greece are perfect.
October Weather of the Island of Greece: bright with lots of suns, a good time to go to the beach; may experience light rain.
Best place to go for the month of October: Santorini, Kos, Mykonos, Corfu, Rhodes, Naxos, Crete and Paros.
November Weather of the Island of Greece: fine and summery with wintry days and some rain.
Best place to go for the month of November: Santorini, Rhodes, Naxos, Crete, and Paros.
December Weather of the Island of Greece: wintry, gray-colored skies with lots of rainy days
Best place to go for the month of December: Santorini, and Crete.